The Lost Mural
Discovered in 1996 during the demolition of Nanaimo’s Malaspina Hotel this 1918 mural ‘Lieutenant Malaspina Sketching the Malaspina Gallery’ by Canadian artist E. J. Hughes went through a 13 year restoration and is now displayed in the Port of Nanaimo Conference Centre in the heart of old town Nanaimo. We took a walking trip to Nanaimo, strolled the Harbour Promenade to Maffeo Sutton Park, continued through the old neighborhoods with their heritage homes, visited the open market by the old Nanaimo Bastion (constructed in 1853) and ended up in the heart of old Nanaimo. There are a number of nice restaurants along the way and with the old buildings this makes a very pleasant outing. We ended it at the mural and then off to the ferry for the trip home.